[m-dev.] Installation + re-installation

Ralph Becket rbeck at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 7 20:13:13 AEDT 2000

Two things.

First, I suggest adding something like the following to the INSTALL
file:
<<<
If you have problems installing a new version of the compiler,
you may find it helpful to either completely remove any existing
versions of the compiler reachable on your PATH or, less drastically,
alter your PATH variable so that any existing version of the mercury
compiler is not accessible for the purposes of installing the new
version.

I, for one, have never managed a successful install without first
fixing my PATH.

I'd also add a clarification
<<<
If you use the `--prefix' option to configure, be aware that `mercury'
is not automatically appended.  That is, `--prefix=/usr/local' will
put files in /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib et cetera, *not*
/usr/local/mercury/bin, /usr/local/mercury/lib.

Second, and I know I've asked this one before and I've forgotten the
answer *again*, what's the fastest, most painless way to test a
change made to, say, list.m?  Whenever I make such a change, with
the intention of contributing something to the library, I go back
to the library source tree and try `mmake install'.  Invariably, I
get no end of hassle - odd linking errors, int files not being
installed, you name it.  Can someone tell me what the exact recipe
is for this sort of thing?

Ta muchly,

Ralph

Ralph Becket      |      MSR Cambridge      |      rbeck at microsoft.com