[m-dev.] for review: teeny changes to string.m

Michael Day mcda at students.cs.mu.oz.au
Sat Oct 28 21:22:31 AEDT 2000

> Preserving the uniqueness is only going to be useful if you actually
> want to do destructive update somewhere.  Since there are currently no
> predicates in `string.m' which desctructively update strings, this
> change by itself is not very useful, IMHO.

Well I do want to do destructive update somewhere, yes. That would be a
separate diff, though. (And see related post regarding modifying arbitrary
characters in strings).

> But you will still need to be careful with how you use the `ui' modes
> of `string__length'.  E.g. you are going to get mode errors even doing
> something as simple as defining a `string__length' function in terms
> of the predicate version.

Guess I'll skip the function for now then and assume that this ui mode
awkwardness will go away at some point in the future?

> Rule number 1: always check to see if a change compiles.

I'll carve that onto the monitor and bash my head against it a few times,
just to make sure :)

Michael