[m-dev.] for review: MLDS backend to do structure reuse and compile time gc

Simon Taylor stayl at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Oct 9 15:03:00 AEDT 2000

> Simon, is it possible for you to check you changes for generating LLDS
> code which does reuse in?

It's probably better if I send you a diff, which you can test then check in.

> Estimated hours taken: 16
>
> Update the MLDS backend to handle structure reuse and compile time gc.
> Note that currently no pass on the main branch currently generates this
> information yet.

> hlds_goal.m:
>     Add a new field, can_cgc, to deconstruction unifications.  This
>     field is true if the deconstruction unification can be compile time
>     garbage collected.

I don't think this information really belongs on deconstruction
unifications. It seems reasonable to compile time garbage collect a
variable when you don't know what functor it is bound to, so long as
you know that the variable does contain allocated memory, not a constant.
I'd suggest adding an alternative to the generic_call goal type to
handle this.

Apart from that, I can't see any problems that Fergus hasn't already
pointed out.

Simon.