[m-dev.] Reuse question

Peter Ross petdr at miscrit.be
Tue Oct 3 01:43:28 AEDT 2000

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 04:08:20PM +0200, Peter Ross wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 06:38:33AM -0700, Ralph Becket wrote:
> > How low-level does the reuse analysis go?  It would be nice if, when
> > mapping over a list of cells that are then up for reuse, the list cells
> > were updated in place.
> >
> Yes the current analysis detects that there is reuse available there
> provided that the original list is never needed again.

I lied the current analysis doesn't mark it for reuse because the
predicate contains an higher order call.  Higher order calls are
currently handled by setting the possible aliasing to top (everything is
possibly aliased with everything else).

However Nancy told me that we should detect reuse in this situation, I
will find out why we don't currently.