[m-dev.] for review: stream I/O

Ralph Becket rbeck at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 3 01:07:16 AEDT 2000

>From Peter Ross on 02/10/2000 15:01:03
> I think that the only way a total ordering can be enforced is by
> including an io__state pair for every stream operation which could
> modify the external world.
>
> Also Fergus has pointed out some problems with the current design
> regarding the semantics, the only way I can see to avoid those problems
> is to include the io__state with every stream operation.
>
> However this solution has some other problems associated with it, I will
> attempt to elaborate further on it in another email.

It would be nice if the io__state *was* the stream.

However, then it's not obvious what one does (other than pass around
a handle with the io__state, as one does with the current io library)
when one want's to do IO over several different files.

Passing around handles as well when necessary doesn't seem too bad to
me.

Cheers,

Ralph

Ralph Becket      |      MSR Cambridge      |      rbeck at microsoft.com