[m-dev.] Concurrency stuff status?

Ralph Becket rbeck at microsoft.com
Sat Nov 18 03:29:14 AEDT 2000

I'm doing some performance tests of various search algorithms.
On some problems, solver A will work in seconds while solver B
is still going the next day.  I'd like to do something like
this: have one thread performing the computation and another
thread that just sleeps for an hour, say, and then kills the
worker thread if it's still going.

This requires both preemptive scheduling (the README in
extras/concurrency only mentions coroutining) and some way of
killing threads from the `outside'.

Is there anything like this on the horizon?  If not, how much
work would be involved?

Cheers,

Ralph

Ralph Becket      |      MSR Cambridge      |      rbeck at microsoft.com