[m-dev.] diff: bootstrap problem with init files in hlc grade

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Nov 5 12:50:02 AEDT 2000

On 03-Nov-2000, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> compiler/mlds_to_c.m:
> 	Make the generation of the mercury__<module>__init function
> 	unconditional, in order to forestall such problems in the future.
> 	Almost all the extra code is inside #ifs whose condition is true
> 	only if the old mlds_to_c.m would have emitted their code anyway,
> 	so in the usual case the only extra cost is a function with an empty
> 	body.

The cost of that in terms of code size and efficiency is trivial.
But for the MLDS back-end I want to optimize not just the efficiency
but also the readability of the generated code.  In terms of readability,
the cost is small, but not entirely trivial, so it would be nice if we
could avoid it.  Could you elaborate on what kind of future problems you're
trying to forestall here?