[m-dev.] preliminary MLDS performance comparisons

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Nov 24 13:50:46 AEDT 2000

On 24-Nov-2000, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> On 23-Nov-2000, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > The benchmark task was compiling samples/interpreter.m with `-O6'
> > (I used a high optimization level to ensure that the test exercises
> > a large part of the compiler).
>
> While -O6 exercises much of the ocmpiler, it will spend most of its time
> in value numbering. A test case at a lower optimization level (-O3) would
> be more realistic, but would requie a larger file to compile to keep the
> compilation time large enough to be meaningful.

OK, I tried a slightly different benchmark, this time compiling
table_gen.m with mmc -O3 -C, again using different versions of
mercury_compile.  Again for each trial I ran the benchmark eight times
and took the average of the middle four results.  I ran three trials
(since the results after the first two trials were somewhat
inconclusive, with a big variation in the two times for asm_fast.gc).

                                          --- Times in seconds ---
    GRADE         C compiler    Options   Trail 1  Trial 2  Trial 3  Average
    -----         ----------    -------   -------  -------  -------  -------
    none.gc       cc            -O1        28.5     28.5     28.6       28.5
    hlc.gc        cc            -O1        23.0     22.6     22.6       22.8
    hlc.gc        cc            -O3        22.4     22.3     22.5       22.4
    hlc.gc        cc -migrate   -O4        22.5     22.5     23.0       22.7
    hlc.gc        gcc           -O2        21.4     21.5     21.5       21.5
    asm_fast.gc   gcc           -O2        21.5     20.7     20.6       20.9

So asm_fast.gc seems a little faster on average (3%).  However, the
difference might be within the measurement error.

The other results here are similar to that for the other benchmark,
except that plain `cc' does better relative to `cc -migrate'.