[m-dev.] Character type class

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Jan 26 23:48:22 AEDT 2000

On 26-Jan-2000, Michael Day <mcda at cat.cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> > I am sure that a certain New Zealander with initials "R. A. O'K." will
> > want unicode handling, so I'll save time and say that now.
>
> Would it make sense for all character sets to be translatable into
> UNICODE? I understand that not everything maps to it yet?

Yes, that's correct; Unicode works well for most character sets,
but for languages like Japanese and Chinese, for various reasons it
is by no means ideal, and so most people in those countries want to
stick with their existing character sets rather than using Unicode.

If you're looking for a state-of-the-art library supporting generics
(i.e. type classes) and internationalization that you could use as
inspiration, then it is probably worth having a look at the new Sather
library just released (I think) by Keith Hopper et al at Waikito University.
I haven't had a look at it myself, but they are they only
academics that I know of who are doing any work in this area, and
Sather is a very nice language, so it may well be worth checking out.

I don't know the URL off-hand, unfortunately.
But you could try email to Keith Hopper <asgard at wave.co.nz>,
or John Newman <jnewman at cs.waikato.ac.nz>.