[m-dev.] string streams and formatting

Michael Day mcda at cat.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Jan 20 15:06:05 AEDT 2000

> One of the intentions behind the existing design was to use the
> static type system to provide improved error detection, in particular
> detecting if you try to do text output on a binary stream or
> vice versa.

Such an attempt might not be in error, though. What of a file containing
both textual and binary data? The dividing line is rather blurred. I've
experimented with using the type system to ensure that all streams are
closed, but this only permits streams to be opened in stack or queue like
fashion, closed in the order they were opened. Currently a safe mechanism
for enforcing closes in arbitrary order still eludes me.

Michael