[m-dev.] Moving quantification

Peter Nicholas MALKIN pnmalk at students.cs.mu.oz.au
Fri Feb 18 20:25:14 AEDT 2000

Hi,

Quantification (in particular the predicate implicitly_quantify_clause_body/8)
is first done from within make_hlds.m, at the end of the predicate transform/18
(this predicate converts an item clause to an hlds_goal clause).

This proves a problem for me if I perform the EDCG transformation, which
introduces new variables, immediately after typecheck. Thus I would like to
perform quantification after typecheck, after I perform the EDCG transformation
(this will also mean moving warning for singletons after typecheck too because
it uses the information from quantification).

Can anyone see any problems (either caused now or in the future) with doing
this? I have tried doing it this way and I have encountered no problems (with
minimal testing though). As far as I can tell typecheck does not need
quantification information.

I could just call quantification again after the EDCG expansion. I have also
tried that and it seems to work fine.

Peter