[m-dev.] for review: specifying library grades

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Dec 18 16:42:42 AEDT 2000

On 18-Dec-2000, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> +#
> +#	   The option --enable-libgrade=<gradelist> allows you to specify
> +#	   precisely the list of library grades to be installed. An empty
> +#	   list of grades will cause the library to be installed only in
> +#	   the default grade.

The documentation here should explain what the list separator is,
e.g. by giving an example.

Since the argument is a list, wouldn't `--enable-libgrades'
be a better name than `--enable-libgrade'?

Ah, I see below that you did in fact use `--enable-librades'
in the code.  The documentation here needs to be fixed to match
the code.

> +#	   The option --disable-most-grades reduces the set of installed grades
> +#	   to a "minimum" level for developers (asm_fast.gc,
> +#	   asm_fast.gc.debug.tr and hlc.gc).

That's not necessarily true, e.g. if you're compiling with MSVC.
Also names like `asm_fast.gc.debug.tr' are a bit frightening for
beginners.  So I suggest changing it to "... (just the default
grade and the grades corresponding to the `--debug'
and `--high-level-code' options)."

Apart from that, this looks fine.