[m-dev.] for review: specifying library grades

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Dec 8 17:12:10 AEDT 2000

On 07-Dec-2000, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> configure.in:
> 	Add options that allow the user to specify the set of library grades
> 	more precisely. Add an option, --enable-minimum-grades,
> 	that reduces the installed grades to the minimum (asm_fast.gc,
> 	asm_fast.gc.debug.tr and hlc.gc), since this is useful to minimize
> 	installation time e.g. when installing a release of the day on a
> 	laptop. Add an option --enable-libgrade=<gradelist> that specifies
> 	the list of library grades precisely.

The log message there gives the wrong option names.

It would help to have a brief summary at the top,
e.g. just moving the first sentence here to the top,
before "configure.in:".

As I said in the last review, these options should be documented in
the INSTALL file.

> +	rm .confgrade > /dev/null 2>&1

It would be better to just write `rm -f .confgrade'.

> +	if $all_grades_ok
> +	then
> +		LIBGRADES=$canonical_grades
> +	else
> +		MERCURY_MSG("using autoconfigured LIBGRADES")
> +	fi
> +fi

If the grade names specified to are invalid,
I think it would be better to just abort,
rather than to continue with a different set of grades.

> +++ canonical_grade.in	Wed Dec  6 12:46:10 2000
> +if test "$errormsgs" = ""
> +then
> +	echo $GRADE
> +	exit 0
> +else
> +	echo "$errormsgs"
> +	exit 1
> +fi

`errormsgs' doesn't appear anywhere else in this diff,
so it never gets set.

Apart from that it looks fine, but I'd like to see a relative diff.

Cheers,
	Fergus.