[m-dev.] for review: new mode syntax

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Aug 16 13:45:13 AEST 2000

On 16-Sep-2000, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> On 15-Aug-2000, Tyson Dowd <trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > Make the syntax for defining modes and insts similar to type equivalence.
> > compiler/prog_io_util.m:
> > 	Make `>>' the standard operator for inline mode declarations.
> > 	`->' is still supported.
>
> You should also change mercury_output_mode in mercury_to_mercury.m
> so that it outputs modes using the new syntax.
>
> Also it would be a good idea to change the mode definitions in
> the Mercury library reference manual (i.e. in the interfaces of
> the standard library module) to use the new syntax.
> There's only three modules that define modes using the old
> syntax, namely builtin.m, list.m, and tree234.m.  (The array.m
> module also defines modes, but it already uses the "==" syntax.)

That will be fine, but I think bootstrapping this change is required
before that will work (at least, changing -> to >> needs to be
bootstrapped).

Changing mercury_to_mercury should wait too, otherwise I may end up
causing transitional problems (if you are mixing compilers it could cause
a problem).   It's just a little safer this way (less chance I have to
fix bugs or listen to people complain about the transition!).

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't everyone's cup of fur.