[m-dev.] fixed limits and more fixed limits

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Aug 12 02:17:38 AEST 2000

On 11-Aug-2000, Peter Ross <peter.ross at miscrit.be> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 11:29:03AM +0200, Peter Ross wrote:
> > Which according to MSDN (otherwise known as the  repository of all
> > sacred knowledge)
> >
> >     Compiler Error C2026
> >     string too big, trailing characters truncated
> >
> >     The string was longer than the limit of 2048 characters.
> >
> >     After adjacent strings are concatenated, a string cannot be longer than
> >     2048 characters.
>
> However what is most amusing is that the error can be avoided as follows
>
> char *s = "a very long string";
>
> becomes
>
> char *s = "a very" " long string";
>
> and hey presto, problem solved!
>
> A slightly bemused,
> Pete

Ah, brilliant.  Not only do they have stupid and non-standard-conforming
fixed limits, the documentation about their fixed limits is actively
misleading about them.  Truly inspiring stuff.

Somehow today I keep getting reminded of a particular phrase,
particularly as far as a certain company is concerned,
which I keep having to repeat to myself...
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence.