[m-dev.] for review: update NEWS and WORK_IN_PROGRESS

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Oct 26 04:03:58 AEST 1999

On 25-Oct-1999, Erwan Jahier <Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr> wrote:

> | +* The Mercury type system now supports existentially quantified types.
> | +
> | +  Existential types let you create heterogenous collections (e.g. lists
> | +  containing objects of different types).  In combination with type
> | +  classes, they allow you to write code in a style resembling that
> | +  often used in many object oriented programming languages.
>
> I can't parse that last sentence (but I can't tell whether it is due to my
> poor English or to missing words...).

The former.  But the sentence is probably unnecessarily convoluted;
if you have trouble parsing it, then I'm sure many others will too.
Does the following change (s/that/the style/) help?

	In combination with type classes, they allow you to write code
	in a style resembling the style often used in many object oriented
	programming languages.

Or should I try a more drastic simplification?

	In combination with type classes, they allow you to write
	code in an OOP-like style.

I was trying to avoid acronyms, but I guess everyone who reads the
Mercury NEWS file will know what OOP stands for.