[m-dev.] for review: make llds_common.m disable-able

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Oct 19 13:12:40 AEST 1999

On 19-Oct-1999, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> > Make the llds_common.m optimization disable-able.
>
> What is the purpose of this change? I see no possible use except benchmarking.

The generated C code is easier to read or debug if that optimization is
disabled, because the constants have much more meaningful names.
After llds_common, everything gets named "common_1", "common_2", etc.

> > compiler/options.m:
> > 	Add a new option `--common-data' which enables that
> > 	optimization; this option is set at `-O2' and higher.
>
> Why there?
>
> Given that the optimization often reduces the size of the C file significantly,
> I would think that enabling it would be appropriate even at -O0.

OK, that makes sense.
I'll change it so that it is enabled at -O0 rather than -O2.

> Apart from that, the change is fine.

Good, I'll make the change mentioned above and then commit it.