[m-dev.] Re: exceptions

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Oct 9 13:25:51 AEST 1999

On 08-Oct-1999, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:

> > The additional complexity of declaring which exceptions may be thrown
> > doesn't seem worth the benefits, IMHO.
>
> I have to disagree here.  In fact I've just been to a talk where it was
> mentioned that some years ago a team from Acorn (remember them?) started
> work on a new OS in Modula 2+.

Does Modula 2+ have parametric polymorphism or higher-order procedures?
The additional complexity of declaring exceptions is
a bit higher in the presence of these features.

I'm not totally opposed to the idea of declaring exceptions.
Certainly for safety-critical software, it's probably worthwhile.
But in many cases I think the disadvantages will outweigh the
advantages.

I'd be happy for Mercury to have compiler-checked declarations of which
exceptions a predicate would throw, so long as they were (by default)
optional.  But it's not at all high on my personal list of priorities.