[m-dev.] Suggestion: ^C throws an exception

Ralph Becket rbeck at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 22 23:14:47 AEDT 1999

> The term browser has limits on the size of the terms that it displays.
> So I don't quite understand how you would accidentally print
> out a huge
> term, unless perhaps you had explicitly set those limits very high.
> Was that the case?

Come to think of it, what did happen was that I asked for a stack trace
after the program had got to some very deeply nested call.  It would have
taken forever for the stack trace to finish printing.  Worse, the cygnus
shell under Windows2000 is significantly slower at delivering output than
e.g. xterm.

> If the problem was indeed output in the term browser,
> the diff that I posted wouldn't help, since debugging
> would be disabled for all the term browser output code,
> and so the next debugging event would only occur _after_
> the term browser had finished all of its output, and
> the user had returned to the mdb prompt and issued a
> command to continue execution.

Hmm, you're right.  There appear to be two sources of human we would
like to be able to recover from here:

(1) the user accidentally continues execution within the debugger rather
than stepping through code, or some such, and wants to interrupt execution
and return to the debugger as soon as possible;

(2) the user accidentally asks the debugger to deliver a ridiculous amount
of information and wants to halt delivery of output as soon as possible.

I think your patch addresses (1) but not (2).

Ralph