[m-dev.] libraries & static linking

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Mar 30 19:08:08 AEST 1999

On 30-Mar-1999, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> The test cases on munta (mips-sgi-irix5.3) are failing, due to problems
> with `-lsocket': on that system, some grades require static linking,
> but there is no static version of `-lsocket'.
>
> The test cases on quicksilver (i568-pc-linux-gnu) are failing too, due
> to problems with `-ldl': on Linux, static linking is the default,
> but on quicksilver there is no static version of `-ldl'.
>
> Any suggestions on what we should do about either of these?

Install static versions of the libraries?  On munta I suspect there's
little hope of this -- IRIX 5.3 is very old anyway.

On quicksilver it should be possible -- except of course that
quicksilver is also quite old and you'll need to find the source for
the same version of the library.

I believe we should upgrade quicksilver to something recent and common.
I know you like to have it around as a test case -- but is this what
you had in mind?

--
The quantum sort:
	while (!sorted) { do_nothing(); }