Opium-M

Warwick Harvey wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au
Thu Mar 18 13:05:22 AEDT 1999

I haven't had a proper play with it yet, but I thought I'd give you some
feedback on my experiences installing Opium-M and getting it running.

I installed from `Opium-M-03-17-99.tar.gz'.  During the install, I had an
error becuase line 69 of `INSTALL-OPIUM-M' is missing close double quotes (")

There's a bug in the Mastermind example in the documentation
(`doc/node20.html').  In `solve_mastermind/3' there is a mode error:
`s/_NumberOfGuesses/NumberOfGuesses/' fixes it.

When running the Mastermind example:

[...]
ECLiPSe Constraint Logic Programming System [kernel]
Version 4.1.0, Copyright IC-Parc and ICL, Sun Feb 21 18:37 1999
[Opium-M 1]: run(mastermind).
Start debugging mastermind program.

---------------------------------
[mastermind ...]

/usr/contrib/Opium-M/scripts/exec_mercury_program: ypcat: command not found
[Opium-M 2]:

The machine I use does not use yp, and so ypcat is not available.  I realise
it was just a temporary hack, so I have temporarily hacked it here to set
the host address manually.  Actually, on this machine `hostname -i' will
give you the IP address, but that isn't portable either.  If I think of a
better alternative I'll let you know.

The debug session still starts OK though, even with the `ypcat' version,
since I'm using `unix' sockets.

When I run a program, it doesn't print out the first trace event unless I
execute `p.'.  Is this normal?  The documentation seems to indicate that the
first event should be printed as soon as you execute the `run' command.  Not
a big deal.

The only other thing I found a little troublesome is that
.../Opium-M/source/opiumfiles/.opium needs to be writeable by anybody who
wants to run Opium-M.  I guess you're used to a single-user system.  :-)

Anyway, that's it for now.  I look forward to trying it out some more to see
what Opium can do, but I have a bunch of other things piling up right now.
:-)

Warwick