[m-dev.] For review: Enable by default the use of the external debugger

Erwan Jahier Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr
Thu Mar 11 08:21:23 AEDT 1999

| On 10-Mar-1999, Erwan Jahier <Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr> wrote:
| > [Fergus wrote:]
| > | Perhaps the solution is to change scripts/ml.in rather than Mmake.common
| > | or Mmake.vars.
| >
| > I don't understand this last suggestion: won't modifications in scripts/ml.in
| > only have effects at link time?
|
| Yes.
|
| > In that case it will be too late to tell that we need socket libraries.
|
| Why?
|
| I think maybe you have some misunderstanding about how libraries work.
| The C compiler ignores `-l' options unless you're linking.

Well OK, my question was very badly formulated. Let's try again:
won't modifications in scripts/ml.in only have effects at "the final
link" (ie when linking  ../trace/libmer_trace.a ../browser/libmer_browser.a
etc...) ?
And in that case trace/libmer_trace.a will be build without the socket library.

Indeed I've tried and that's what happened (and I wanted to make sure it was
because I misunderstand the use of scripts/ml.in or not.)

--
R1.