[m-dev.] for review: new module for handling file offsets

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Mar 9 11:48:02 AEDT 1999

> > library/file_offset.m:
> > 	A new module to handle conversions from offsets into files into
> > 	line number, column number pairs.
>
> That module looks fine, but I don't think it is of sufficiently general
> usefulness to warrant inclusion in the standard library.

I disagree. Many other programs (in fact, all well-written programs that
handle complex input) want to be able to give good error messages for
problems with their input, and this module is useful in helping them
accomplish that.

Any other opinions?

Zoltan.