[m-dev.] proposal regarding bootstrapping

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jun 11 10:33:55 AEST 1999

Fergus wrote:
> So, in future, I suggest that whenever anyone makes a change which prevents
> bootstrapping with a previous version of the compiler, they should add a
> cvs tag to all the files in the relevant directories before commiting,
> and mention this tag in the log message.
>
> Is everyone happy with this suggestion?

Like Warwick, I am also happy with this suggestion, with one provision:
that it applies only to changes that prevent the compiler from
bootstrapping with a previous version *in a standard grade*;
it should not apply to changes that prevent the compiler from
bootstrapping with a previous version in a non-standard grade.
Obviously, asm_fast.gc should be a standard grade, and I think
so should asm_jump.gc, fast.gc, jump.gc, reg.gc and none.gc.
However, grades including profiling and/or minimal model tabling
should not be, and grades including debugging probably shouldn't be either.
This makes it easier to work on these areas of the system, with minimal
impact on others.

I don't have an opinion on whether (non-debug) trailing grades should
be standard or not, but probably Warwick does.

Zoltan.