[m-dev.] for review: document bootstrapping tag procedure

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Jul 20 04:29:21 AEST 1999

On 19-Jul-1999, Warwick Harvey <wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> Tyson wrote:
> > +The rationale for the cvs tag is that it allows machines to be
> > +bootstrapped (if they didn't manage to do it in an overnight build)
>
> It's not just overnight builds.  It's also people maintaining remote
> installations of Mercury who want a little more stability than rebuilding
> every night, or don't want to have to maintain a bleeding-edge installation
> and/or install rotds on a regular basis just so they can compile the version
> (or branch) they're working on after an update (or merge).

Well, I can't think of a short way to say that, and people in your
situation still fall into the category of not managing to bootstrap
in a daily build, simply by virtue of not doing a daily build.   So
apart from changing overnight to daily, I'm going to leave it as is.

I've made everyone else's changes, however.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't eveyone's cup of fur.