[m-dev.] add goal path at external ports

Erwan Jahier Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr
Sat Jan 30 08:36:28 AEDT 1999

Fergus wrote:
| > I would argue that the current line number at the time of a call is
| > in the body of the *calling* procedure.
|
| Well, I'd say that's a terminology issue.  I'm talking about things
| at the implementation level here.  Each event is associated with
| a particular procedure, and the "current line" for that event
| should be a line in that procedure.  In the current implementation,
| "call" events occur in the called procedure, not in the caller,
| so the line number must be one associated with the callee.
|
| We could in theory define some new event types, called say "before-call",
| "after-exit", "before-redo", and "after-fail", which would occur
| in the caller rather than in the callee.  (It would even be possible
| to rename the existing call/exit/redo/fail events to something different
| and rename the new before-call/after-exit/before-redo/after-fail
| events as call/exit/redo/fail, but that would be a shift in terminology.)
| However, doing so would be quite inefficient.

What would be inefficient: remove the current call/exit/redo/fail events and
replace them by your before-call/after-exit/before-redo/after-fail or adding
before-call/after-exit/before-redo/after-fail to existing events ?

If it is the later, I understand. But if it is the former, why is it
inefficient ?

--
R1.