[m-dev.] Re: Access to the repository for Mercury tutorial

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Feb 18 22:58:09 AEDT 1999

On 18-Feb-1999, Ralph Becket <rwab1 at cam.sri.com> wrote:
> Peter Ross wrote on 17 Feb:
> >
> > Set the following environment variable
> > setenv  CVSROOT :pserver:rwab1 at hydra.cs.mu.oz.au:/home/mercury1/repository/
> >
> > if the above doesn't work then s/hydra/mercury/
>
> Yep, have to make the substitution and today it lets me login.
> However, it then complains that it doesn't know me:
>
> $ cvs login
> (Logging in to rwab1 at mercury.cs.mu.oz.au)
> CVS password:
> $ cvs co tutorial
> Fatal error, aborting.
> rwab1: no such user
>
> Haylp!

Try again now.

Pete added an entry for you in the cvs passwd file, but didn't
create an account for you on those machines.  What I've done
is to append ":cvsuser" to your entry in the cvs passwd file,
so that it will use the "cvsuser" account rather than trying
to use the non-existent "rwab1" account.

BTW, can anyone explain why the `cvsuser' user on mercury and hydra
had a password and was user id 0 (root) and group 0?  I changed that
to a new uid and group mercury, with a locked password.

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.oz.au>  |  "Binaries may die
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>  |   but source code lives forever"