[m-dev.] Opium-M ---> Morphine

Erwan Jahier Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr
Thu Dec 16 03:16:43 AEDT 1999

| Given all this, I think that Morphine is just not going to be
| stable enough, in a way that we can verify, within the release
| time-frame.  At this point in the release process it's just
| a bit too late to be making significant changes like that that
| could introduce bugs; if you try to do it in a rush, there is
| just too much chance that something will go wrong, and if we
| can't test it, I think that pretty much conclusively rules out
| such changes at this point.  So I'm afraid we'll have to ship
| 0.9 without Morphine.  Sorry.

I think you are rigth.

| But there may well be a 0.9.1 sometime in the not too distant future.

Great!

| We may be able to include Morphine in that, if all of the various issues
| have been resolved by then.

Well I hope so.

| Anyway, here's a diff for my untested changes to get rid
| of the remaining occurrences of "opium".  I won't commit
| this, since I can't test it.  But you might want to apply
| it (using tools/cvspatch), test it, and if it works, to
| commit it.
| ----------
|
| Estimated hours taken: 1
|
| extras/morphine/*:
| extras/morphine/*/*:
| 	Change all the remaining occurrences of `opium'
| 	to `morphine', except for the ones in the parts of the
| 	`source/patch.*' files representing old code

Well they (`source/patch.*') are not really files that represent the old code. As a
matter of fact, those files are related to the reasons why
(1) I want Eclipse and not another Prolog system
(2) I need Eclipse 4.1 or later
(3) I had some licensing problems
(4) /sed/opium/morphine/ does not work

Here is the story. Those files are the files that implement the opium (the
prolog one) scenario handler. This scenario handler is really very useful
because it lets me automaticly generate on-line help and referece manuals.
Since I didn't want to rewrite it, I have just reused it (that explains point
(1)).

To avoid Licensing issues (i.e. to fix (3) ; it is impossible to know which
person to ask the authorization to to use those files...) what INSTALL_MORPHINE
does is to copy them from the Eclipse distribution (which explains point (2) ;
the Eclipse people have put those files in their distribution since 4.1) and
then patch them (the patches make it work for Morphine, correct a few bugs and
add a few features such as an apropos command ...).

I don't really want to do /sed/opium/morphine/ (cf point 4) because the
scenario handler should work either for opium, Morphine and Coca (a C debugger
based on the same ideas).

A solution in the long run to avoid those problems might be to move to the CIAO
prolog system which seems to have the same kind of automatic documentation
tool.

--
R1.