[m-dev.] spypoints in external debugger

Gregory Daniel Denehy gdenehy at cs.monash.edu.au
Tue Aug 31 15:50:48 AEST 1999

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Erwan Jahier wrote:

> | Is it possible to add support for spypoints to the external debugger, and
> | how much work would be involved?  And if so, is anyone willing to
> | implement it?  I could possibly try it myself, but I'm not confident that
> | I could do it with my time constraints, and I've little knowledge of the
> | source code.
>
> I can implement spypoints, but you first have to convince me that the current
> mechanisms available in Opium-M are not sufficient. Please let me know exactly
> what do you want do using spypoints, and I let you how it can (easily ;-) be
> done with fget/1.
>
> If it is really spypoints that you want (as a feature of your graphical
> debugger), then I suggest you write a "spypoint Opium-M scenario" using fget;
> it is quite easy and should be a good exercise for you to understand how
> Opium-M is working (have a look at the code in Opium-M/source/step_by_step_M.op
> which implements basic features of classical debuggers (except spypoints ;-).
>
> This scenario would fit to your own needs; let users implement the debbuging
> features they need, that's what opium* is all about.
>
> If it is really not efficient enough, then I will implement spypoints using the
> existing support of the internal debugger.

I think that we may be talking about two different things here.  When I
referred to the external debugger I was referring to the external
interface to the mercury debugger, not to Opium-M.  What I am after is
support for spypoints on the Mercury side as Fergus detailed in his mail.
>From the description Fergus gave I'll probably be able to give it a go
myself.

> R1 (hint, hint, hint for spelling my first name correctly Greg! ;-)

Sorry, my mistake.

Greg