[m-dev.] Clean targets and optimisation files

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Aug 5 21:40:25 AEST 1999

On 05-Aug-1999, Warwick Harvey <wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> Is there any particular reason why `mmake clean' deletes `.trans_opt' files
> but not `.opt' files?  (`mmake realclean' is required for the latter.)

Not that I know of.

I think it should probably be changed to reflect the documentation
in the Mercury User's Guide, which says that only `mmake realclean'
deletes `.opt' and `.trans_opt' files.

But, I'm not sure that `mmake clean' is really very useful.

> I can understand why `.int', `.d' files, etc. are not removed by `mmake
> clean',

Hmm... maybe you can explain it for me then ;-)

> but cannot see why `.opt' files aren't.

I think `.opt' files are not removed for the same reason that
`.int' files are not removed.  That is, why should `.int' files be
treated differently to `.opt' files in this respect?