[m-dev.] upgrade to egcs-1.1.2 --enable-shared broke Mercury

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Apr 24 07:34:33 AEST 1999

Dear sysadmins,

The recent upgrade to egcs-1.1.2, configured with --enable-shared,
broke the Mercury compiler on murlibobo and mundook.  The problem is
that gcc passes -rpath to the linker, and gcc's setting of -rpath
overrides any setting that you pass to gcc on the command line.  Having
gcc pass -rpath automatically is fine, but having gcc's setting of
-rpath automatically override the user's setting is definitely a bug.
This makes it impossible for `ml' (the Mercury linker) to set the
appropriate rpath for finding Mercury shared libraries.

So, I guess there are good reasons why --enable-shared is not the default:
it apparently hasn't been properly debugged.  Could you please reinstall
egcs without --enable-shared on the machines running OSF?

Actually it looks a bit like one of the sysadmins (probably Ling Shi)
may have manually hacked the gcc `specs' file to add the appropriate rpath
options.  If that's the case, then the bug is in those changes, not in
egcs.

Either way, the sooner it is fixed, the better!

Cheers,
	Fergus.

P.S.
I don't think the same problem will occur on Solaris, because on Solaris
`-rpath' options accumulate rather than overriding each other.  So there
should be no need to reinstall there.