[m-dev.] Re: for review: bootchecks in non-default grades

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Apr 21 18:30:49 AEST 1999

On 15-Apr-1999, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> Make it much more convenient to do a full bootcheck, including all the tests,
> in a grade other than the default one.
> 	The old --copy-runtime and --copy-boehm-gc options, which were each
> 	intended to accomplish one half of this, are deleted by this change.

I think those options may sometimes be necessary for bootstrapping
even if you're using the same grade.  Normally we prefer to avoid changes
which break binary backwards compatibility between the runtime and the
library, instead splitting such changes into two parts, but in
general that might not always be feasible.  If splitting such a change
in this way is difficult, then we may need to use the --copy-runtime
option to bootstrap things.

So I don't think you should delete these two options.
Instead, I think it would be better to just make them
implied by the other options.

Apart from that, the change looks fine.  But if you make changes
to address the above comment I would like to see another diff.

Cheers,
	Fergus.