[m-dev.] Re: bootcheck failed

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Nov 27 05:29:41 AEDT 1998

On 26-Nov-1998, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> On 26-Nov-1998, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> >
> > > The compiler failed its bootstrap tests on murlibobo last night;
> > > the stage 2 compiler gets a seg fault.  It worked fine the night
> > > before.
> > I just checked, and the command "gcc" on murlibobo now invokes
> > egcs-2.91.57. The modification date on /usr/local/bin is 1am today.
> > Therefore it is likely that the bug is in egcs.
>
> Or at least triggered by egcs.
>
> gcc 2.7.2 is still around in /usr/local/apps.
> I've put a link to it in /home/mercury/public/murlibobo.
> We'll see tonight whether that avoids the problem.
> I expect it will.

Yep, that did indeed avoid the problem.

So everyone who is using Mercury on murlibobo needs
to make sure that the version of gcc that they have in
their path is not egcs, e.g. by putting /home/mercury/public/murlibobo
at the header of their path.

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.oz.au>  |  "Binaries may die
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>  |   but source code lives forever"