[m-dev.] for review: change library to use existential types

David Glen JEFFERY dgj at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Nov 19 15:09:27 AEDT 1998

On 18-Nov-1998, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I suppose dgj is the exisential types export -- could you
> please review this one for me, David?

I've never thought of myself as an export. Where am I being exported to? ;-)

> --------------------
>
> Change the standard library to use existential types.
>
> library/std_util.m:
> 	Add new existentially typed procedures univ_value/1 and has_type/2.
>
> library/term.m:
> library/io.m:
> 	Use existential types rather than unsafe casts and other hacks.
>

> +	% XXX what is the right TYPE_QUAL_OP to use here?
> +	io__write_string(" : "),

Good question. Is ":" the right thing to use for now?

> +io__write_c_pointer(_C_Pointer) -->
> +	% XXX what should we do here?
> +	io__write_string("'<<c_pointer>>'").

Another good question. Perhaps we should print out the pointer value. (?)

Anyhow, we can think about those two concerns later.  Commit away.

dgj
--
David Jeffery (dgj at cs.mu.oz.au) |  Marge: Did you just call everyone "chicken"?
PhD student,                    |  Homer: Noooo.  I swear on this Bible!