[m-dev.] Mercury 0.8

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Nov 18 04:07:07 AEDT 1998

On 17-Nov-1998, Erwan Jahier <Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr> wrote:
> | Hi all,
> |
> | I've just put the source distribution for Mercury 0.8 on the Mercury
> | ftp site <ftp://turiel.cs.mu.oz.au/pub/mercury>.  If there are no
> | unexpected hiccups discovered in the next 24 hours or so, we will post
> | a formal announcement to mercury-announce and elsewhere.
>
> I run into problems to install this on a "SunOS 5.5.1 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1"
> machine (see below). I didn't have any problems to install mercury on
> that machine before...
> ../scripts/mgnuc --grade asm_fast.gc --no-ansi --no-check -DSILENT -DDONT_DEFIN_READ -DNO_DEBUGGING -DNO_EXECUTE_PERMISSION -fpic -DPIC     -c dyn_load.c -o dn_load.o
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/elf.h:18,
>                  from dyn_load.c:59:
> /usr/include/sys/elftypes.h:53: #error "64 bit integer types not supported on tis platform"

I succeeded in reproducing this problem on cat.cs.mu.oz.au.
The problem seems to be due to an interaction between gcc and
the SunOS 5.5.1 headers.  I suspect this may be caused by
installing gcc and then upgrading the OS without reinstalling gcc.
This could cause problems because gcc's `fixincludes' doesn't get run
on the new header files.
On cat, gcc was installed for SunOS 5.5 whereas the machine is
now running SunOS 5.5.1.

Erwan, could you please check whether this is the case on your
system too?  Please send the output of `gcc -v'.

A work-around is to manually compile dyn_load.c with `-U__STDC__'.

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.oz.au>  |  "Binaries may die
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>  |   but source code lives forever"