debugger command set

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Nov 11 03:57:23 AEDT 1998

Zoltan asked for comments on the debugger command set.
Here are my suggestions:

	- I would prefer `alias p print' rather than the current
	  `alias p print *'; I find myself forever typing `p 1'.

	- If you type the wrong number of arguments, it would be
	  better for the debugger to just say

	  	mdb: print: usage error -- type `help print' for help

	  rather than for it to just print the help message, as it
	  does currently.
	  The behaviour of printing the help message without any
	  indication of why it was printed is confusing, and
	  it's annoying for a simple typo to cause so much output,
	  since it scrolls all the useful stuff that you printed
	  out previously off the screen.

	- A command for printing the type of a variable would be nice.
	  In fact, the `v' (vars) command which lists them could do that.

	- It would be helpful if the `up', `down', and `level' commands could
	  print out a trace line showing where you are, like they do in gdb.

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.oz.au>  |  "Binaries may die
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>  |   but source code lives forever"