[m-dev.] for review: rewrite of check_typeclass.m

Peter Schachte pets at students.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu May 21 12:12:19 AEST 1998

Hi DJ,

On Wed, 20 May 1998, David Glen JEFFERY wrote:

> A re-work on check_typeclass.m. Now, rather than the ad-hoc approach of
> checking each method of each instance declaration for *exact* type and mode
> correctness, we generate a new predicate that gets inserted into the HLDS.
> This predicate is checked for type, mode, uniqueness and determinism
> correctness in the appropriate compiler passes.

Does this mean that type class methods can now be impure or semipure?  That
should probably be allowed.  Instances should be checked that the
corresponding predicates are no less pure than the class specifies (but more
pure should be ok, I think).

-Peter Schachte               | I disapprove of what you say, but I will
mailto:pets at cs.mu.OZ.AU       | defend to the death your right to say it.
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pets/ |     -- Voltaire
PGP: finger pets at 128.250.37.3 |