[m-dev.] putting all those little files in subdirectories

Thomas Charles CONWAY conway at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Mar 17 15:48:08 AEDT 1998

Zoltan Somogyi, you write:
> Another consideration that the name space redesign should address is
> the ability for object files for more than one architecture to coexist.
> This is especially important if cyclone is down, or if a bug shows up
> only on an architecture which is not your main development platform
> (e.g. SPARC register windows). Both situations have come up recently.
> I don't think you need more directories for this; including the platform
> name in the object file name (and if necessary, the C file name)
> would be enough.

It would be really nice if we could use ELF sections or something
to include the object code all in the one .o file, then let the
linker sort out the mess at the end. Getting Make rules that could
check datestamps within ELF sections would be a challenge. :-)

Thomas
--
ZZ:wq!
^X^C
Thomas Conway               				      conway at cs.mu.oz.au
AD DEUM ET VINUM	  			   Nail here [] for new monitor.