[m-dev.] Re: For review: Term display helper

Peter Schachte pets at students.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Mar 13 13:27:23 AEDT 1998

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Waye-Ian CHIEW wrote:

> Actually, the idea behind the algebraic approach is more general than
> that.  It's simply a mapping from one kind of tree (a data type) into another
> (structured output).

Ok, but this paper was mapping directly to a linear structure.  Mapping
terms to trees seems the right approach, if you choose the tree right.  The
paper I cited, I think, does.  Their output language looks vaguely TeX-like;
kind of a 2D version of boxes and glue.  Well, more 2D then TeX usually is.

>    @Article{bra-eel-tosem-96,
>      author =       "Mark Van Den Brand and Eelco Visser",
>      title =        "Generation of Formatters for Context-free Languages",
>      journal =      "ACM Trans. Software Eng. and Methodology",
>      year =         1996,
>      volume =       5,
>      number =       1,
>      pages =        "1--41",
>    }
> Would you know where I could find a Postscript version of this paper?

No, but they have it in the maths library.

-Peter Schachte			| The only thing necessary for the triumph of
pets at cs.mu.OZ.AU		| evil is for good men to do nothing.
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pets/	| -- Edmund Burke
PGP key available on request	|