[m-dev.] For review: another change to the external debugger

Erwan Jahier Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr
Mon Jul 27 20:27:34 AEST 1998

Fergus Henderson wrote:

> > There are 2 parts in this change (1) do not test whether or not an
> > attribute is wanted to retrieve it and (2) make the retrieval of
> > arguments and other slots done separately. The rationale for (1) is that
> > this test is very expensive (11 attributes times possibly millions of
> > events)
>
> This is wrong; the test is not very expensive.
> The 11 tests are done only only after each request on the socket,
> not for every event.

yes you are rigth.

> Anyway, do you want to have another go at writing a rationale?

Do I have the choice ? ;-)

Let's go:

 There are 2 parts in this change (1) do not test whether or not an
attribute is wanted to retrieve it and (2) make the retrieval of
arguments and other slots done separately. The rationale for (1) is to
reduce the average size of the messages sent to the socket. The
rationale
for (2) is that since arguments slot can be very big, we still want to
be able to retrieve any slot without retrieving arguments; so we
retrieve that slot separately.

--
R1.