[m-dev.] Mercury Meetings.

Tyson Dowd trd at stimpy.cs.mu.oz.au
Mon Jul 13 23:12:04 AEST 1998

On 13-Jul-1998, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> On 13-Jul-1998, Tyson Dowd <trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > How does this plan sound?
>
> It all sounds great, IMHO.  How about we start next Tuesday (July 14th)?

Tomorrow is fine.  We can consider it a "trial run"

> Have we decided on a venue for the meetings?

No.  I think the choices are:
	Second floor meeting room.
	First floor meeting room.
	Theatre 2.
	Tea Room on third floor.
	Seminar Room (in basement).

> > We will have a scheduled "speaker" to who is expected to present
> > some aspect of their work, or an interesting topic related to the field
> > in general for around 5-20 minutes.  This is not expected to be a big
> > deal (e.g. slides are definitely optional) -- but gives us a sure-fire
> > topic to discuss, and lets us know how people are going.
>
> Any volunteers for the role of speaker co-ordinator?  DJ?

Since DJ has already been dobbed in as post-grad seminar co-ordinator,
I think it would be best if we gave him a rest.  Unless he's keen for
the job, that is.

(I'm happy to do it, at least at first, but perhaps it would be a good
role for one of our new postgrads?)

> We need someone to be responsible for choosing a speaker each fortnight,
> and for sending mail to mercury-developers to remind us all ;-)
>
> Here's some suggestions for speakers to get us started:
>
> 	accurate garbage collection -- Tyson
> 	parallelism -- Tom
> 	existential types -- myself and/or DJ

These all seem fine.

Who wants to speak tomorrow?

--
       Tyson Dowd           # "Bill Gates is a white persian cat and a monocle
                            # away from becoming another James Bond villan."