[m-dev.] Re: copyright notices

Peter Schachte pets at students.cs.mu.oz.au
Wed Jan 14 18:16:03 AEDT 1998

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Fergus Henderson wrote:

> The benefits of including a date in the copyright notice are less clear.

I don't think it's a copyright notice unless it contains a date.

> However, if we do include a date in the copyright notice (as is the
> status quo), then we should make sure that the date remains correct.

But what "correct" means is another question.  I was once told that you
shouldn't change the copyright date unless you made very substantial changes
to the file.  Like rewriting half of it.  Just a few updates doesn't count.
Or so I've been told.  But then, copyright law might be a bit different here
than in the US.  IANAL.  YMMV.  DSMIIW (Don't sue me if I'm wrong).

-Peter Schachte			| The wrong sort of people are always in power
pets at cs.mu.OZ.AU		| because they would not be in power if they
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pets/	| were not the wrong sort of people. -- Jon
PGP key available on request	| Wynne-Tyson