[m-dev.] for review: bug fix for browser output streams.

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Dec 13 11:39:30 AEDT 1998

On 13-Dec-1998, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> On 07-Dec-1998, Tyson Dowd <trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > Fix a bug in the debugger -- the term printing wasn't working after
> > you had changed the output stream -- output would be sent to the
> > program's output stream instead of the debugger's output stream.
>
> That change looks OK.  But I think the default stream for the browser
> output should be stdout, not stderr, for consistency with the
> rest of output from the internal debugger, which (apart from error
> messages) currently goes to stdout.

I thought they were stderr.  Must have mis-read it.

> But I also have a comment about the longer-term evolution of this code.
> Ideally, `mdb' should have options for doing all the I/O on a different
> xterm or tty.  These would be passed to the Mercury runtime,
> which would in turn pass them on to the browser.
> So there should be a version of `browse__init_state' which takes
> an input stream and an output stream as arguments.

I agree.  That's why I went to all the trouble of putting the input
and output streams into the browser state instead of just hardcoding
them when required.

--

Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking
about my work.

Tyson Dowd   <tyson at tyse.net>   http://tyse.net/