[m-dev.] HAL group's student doing graphic debugger

Mark Anthony BROWN dougl at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Dec 7 15:20:35 AEDT 1998

Hi,

> -----Forwarded message from Maria Garcia de la Banda <mbanda at cs.monash.edu.au>-----
>
> Hello!

>  what kind of information can the debugger provide in order to build
> the execution tree (will he have to dig in the mercury sources, or is there
> any kind of standard interface which includes the information he is likely
> to need, etc).

I am designing and implementing a declarative debugger for
Mercury.  I am currently working on a change to the internal
debugger which builds a C representation of the execution tree.
I plan to use this to implement Lee's declarative debugging
scheme.  This could also be used as part of a visualization tool.

At the moment, only proof trees are generated.  This is initiated via
a command in the internal debugger.  When the proof tree is collected,
it is passed to a C function which simply prints an ascii representation
of it.  It shouldn't be too hard to pass it to a different C function
instead.

The proof tree does not include those parts of execution which did
not lead to success.  In the future I will be implementing the
collection of full execution trees, including unsuccessful branches,
but I'm not making any promises about the time frame.

Perhaps this is of some interest to you?  I will hopefully
commit the first lot of changes in the next few days.

Cheers,
Mark.
--
Mark Brown  (dougl at cs.mu.oz.au)       )O+   |  For Microsoft to win,
MEngSc student,                             |  the customer must lose