[m-dev.] diff: pass typeclass-info args to C code

David Glen JEFFERY dgj at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Aug 24 02:59:45 AEST 1998

On 24-Aug-1998, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> Any scheme which includes double underscores in the middle of the name
> won't work for the C++ interface, since C++ reserves all such names.
> It would be confusing if the C interface was different from the C++
> interface it this respect, so I suggest we avoid double underscores.

Oh, yuck.

> Also, typing out the arity and the fully qualified class name
> is going to be tedious for the programmer (remember the programmer
> may need to use these names in the C/C++ code fragment).

I think that it's still important to include the fully qualified name.
Even though it might be a bit of typing, it's not the kind of thing that
most people will be doing very often.

> I suggest instead using just
>
> 	TypeclassInfo_for_classname_1
> 	TypeclassInfo_for_classname_2
> 	TypeclassInfo_for_classname_3

Yes, that seems like quite a good idea (although, like I said, I think that
the module name should be in there).

> Or alternatively perhaps the same but without the `_1's
> (i.e. only the second and subsequent occurrences get the numerical
> suffix).

Hmmm. Perhaps not a bad idea.

I think I'll wait a bit before I implement anything, though.

love and cuddles,
dgj
--
David Jeffery (dgj at cs.mu.oz.au) |  Marge: Did you just call everyone "chicken"?
PhD student,                    |  Homer: Noooo.  I swear on this Bible!