[m-dev.] for review: new tests/tabling directory

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Aug 14 14:55:47 AEST 1998

On 14-Aug-1998, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> > > +Software error: detected infinite recursion in pred tc_loop:tc/2
> > > +Stack dump not available in this grade.
> >
> > I would have to classify this as a compiler bug.  Software error
> > is not the correct way to report an error in the program.
>
> I don't understand what you mean. In this case, the programmer has
> used an annotation that *tells* the implementation to abort if it finds
> infinite recursion at runtime. The usual way for a program to abort is
> by calling error/1, which produces a message formatted like the one above.
> What exactly is the problem with this?
>
> (The error cannot be reported at compile time, since in general the
> presence of infinite looping is data-dependent, and thus that would
> require solving the halting problem.)

Sorry, I was confusing this with the error messages output by
termination analysis which *do* happen at compile time.

Ignore what I said.

--
       Tyson Dowd           # There isn't any reason why Linux can't be
                            # implemented as an enterprise computing solution.