[m-dev.] extending "univ" to typeclasses

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Aug 5 20:33:57 AEST 1998

On 05-Aug-1998, David Glen JEFFERY <dgj at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> As an example of the translation, given:
>
> :- typeclass c(T) where [
> ].
>
> We can generate a type:
>
> :- type c_object.
> There are several obvious deficiencies of the generator at the moment:
> 	- The type_layouts and type_functors are not right. This needs
> 	  thought

I suggest you generate

	:- type foo_object ---> foo_object(c_pointer).

and thus not worry about the type_layouts and type_functors.

> 	- Functions would probably be nicer than predicates as constructors
> 	  and deconstructors.

Yep.

General comments -- it's OK as an interim measure, I guess, but I hope
it will be short-lived!

Cheers,
	Fergus.