[m-dev.] For review: warn rather than abort for MERCURY_OPTIONS not applicable to current grade

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Aug 5 18:02:41 AEST 1998

On 05-Aug-1998, Warwick Harvey <wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> Can somebody review this?  In particular, I'd like to know whether I'm using
> an appropriate method for printing warning messages, whether they are of an
> appropriate format, and whether printing anything at all is appropriate (as
> opposed to just remaining silent).

We ought to have a single function called say MR_warning()
for printing warning messages, something like this:

	void
	MR_warning(const char *msg, ...)
	{
		va_list args;

		fprintf(stderr, "Mercury runtime: ");
		va_start(args, msg);
		vfprintf(stderr, args);
		va_end(args);
		fprintf(stderr, "\n");
	}

However, currently we don't.  I'd be very happy if someone added one.

Regarding the actual warning messages in your change, it may be
worth mentioning "MERCURY_OPTIONS" in the warning messages.

Otherwise, your change looks fine.