[m-dev.] Regular meetings.

David Glen JEFFERY dgj at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Apr 17 14:55:10 AEST 1998

> With the growth of the mercury group (I can count at least ten people
> siting within 7m of my desk),  I think that it would be a good idea to
> schedule a meeting every couple of weeks and for one person in the group
> to summarise their recent work and future directions that they might
> take it in.
>
> This would mean that everyone would present only once every 6 months (when
> you factor in directed study students, summer students and visitors).
>
> Comments?

I think this is an excellent idea. Mark and I have discussed this once, but
I don't know how the rest of the group feels. My feeling is that it would be
great for several reasons:
	- We would all have some idea what everyone is doing
	- It would encourage us all to think a little more about the research
	  side of what we do (as opposed to implementation).
	- It would be a good forum for fostering new ideas (although I guess
	  that our current work environment already achieves this to a fair
	  extent).
	- We could all make fun of Pete on a regular basis.

The downside is, of course, that its an extra commitment for everyone. IMHO it
would be time well spent.

I think that for it to work, it would need to be fairly low key (eg. you
wouldn't be expected to prepare slides).

love and cuddles,
dgj
--
David Jeffery (dgj at cs.mu.oz.au) |  Marge: Did you just call everyone "chicken"?
MEngSc student,                 |  Homer: Noooo.  I swear on this Bible!