[m-dev.] diff: detect linking with inconsistent grades

Peter Schachte pets at students.cs.mu.oz.au
Thu Oct 2 11:39:54 AEST 1997

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Fergus Henderson wrote:

> > Couldn't you have foo.m compile into
> > foo_grade.o (eg, list.m -> list_asm_fast_gc.o)?  Then mmake have ensure
> > that each file was compiled in the right grade before even trying to link.
>
> I think that solution would be a bit intrusive.  The long names, e.g.
>
> 	list_asm_fast_gc_tr_prof_tag3_ubf_picref.o
>
> would be annoying.

Fine, then assign a short name to each grade, so it would just be something
like:

	list_fgtp3up.o

Since you've got control over the grade names, you can make it as short as
you like, as long as it has enough bits to encode all the possible grades.

> Also it would still be easy to shoot yourself
> in the foot using libraries.  (Indeed, that bug which actually
> bit me was using libraries...)

Assuming you put the suffix on .a and .so files too, and only put .o files
with the right suffix into the the right libraries,, how could you shoot
yourself in the foot using libraries?

-Peter Schachte      URL:  http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pets/
pets at cs.mu.OZ.AU     PGP:  finger pets at 128.250.37.150 for key
    Do insects spend hours demammaling their programs?